Take a peek below for the latest news, information, and tips for your next visit to San Diego’s cultural gem – straight from the Balboa Park Explorer Team.
- Enero Zapatista
- Brain: The World Inside Your Head | Opening 02/01/2020
- Pulseworks® VR Transporter | Now through 09/30/2019
- Mindbender Mansion | Now through 04/19/2020
- Kimono着物 : A Living History | Opening 01/30/2020
*Currently closed for renovation.
- Illusion: The Magi of Motion | Now through 01/30/2021
- The Stories They Tell: A Hundred Years of Photography | Now through 02/17/2020
- Dreamscapes: 14th Annual Juried Youth Exhibition | Now through 03/01/2020
- SPACE: Our Greatest Adventure | Ongoing
- Illumination: 21st Interactions with Art + Science + Technology | Now through 05/03/2020
- That ’70s Car Show | Opening 02/08/2020
- LGBTQ+ San Diego: Stories of Struggles and Triumph | Re-Opening 02/10/2020
- I’m Not Like You: Notes From The San Diego Underground – Now through 03/22//2020
- The Path of the Mystic: Art and Theosophy at Lomaland – Now through 04/19/2020
- The Cabrillo & Southwestern| Ongoing
- The San Diego & Arizona Eastern| Ongoing
- The Centennial Railway Garden| Ongoing
- The Toy Train Gallery| Ongoing
- Bringing Out the Brass | Opening 02/24/2020
- American Still Life Moderns | Now through 02/16/2020
- Bouguereau and America| Now through 02/16/2020
- Abstract Revolution | Now through 02/23/2020
- Nick Roth: Fates | 03/01/2020
- Living with Animals | Ongoing
- Monsters! | Ongoing
- PostSecret | Ongoing
- Cannibals: Myth & Reality | Ongoing
For more exhibits on view click here.
- The Cerutti Mastodon Discovery | Now through 12/31/2019
- Hidden Gems | Ongoing
- The Backyard | Ongoing
- Unshelved: Cool Stuff from Storage | Ongoing
- Extraordinary Ideas from Ordinary People: A History of Citizen Science | Ongoing
- Insects to Face | Ongoing
- Living Lab | Now through 09/01/2020
For more exhibits on view click here
- Masterpieces of Italian Drawings from The British Museum | Now through 12/15/2019
- Veterans Who Became Presidents | Ongoing
- Afrofuturism | Ongoing
San Diego Art Institute
Illumination: 21st Interactions with Art + Science + Technology
February 8 through May 3, 2020 | 12-5 PM
Climate change, global health, and sustainability are some of the most pressing concerns of the 21st century, especially for future generations.
SDAI’s Illumination is positioned squarely at the intersection of art, science, and technology, and uses these interconnected fields to boost public understanding of contemporary issues and explore solutions, both real and imagined.
Each month, join the San Diego Air & Space Museum in the Education Center to build, test, and create a memorable Saturday with your friends and family. Family Days are FREE after general admission and to Explorer Passholders! For upcoming dates, click here.
The Fleet’s new Illusions Gallery is filled with mystifying exhibits and shares how the brain processes information in ways that can often deceive us. In this visually captivating attraction, colors and shapes are found where there aren’t any, faces appear from the strangest places and the simplest images lead to the most surprising revelations. Inside the Illusions Gallery, visitors discover that it is not what you see; it’s how you see that truly matters.
Mindbender Mansion is an eclectic place full of puzzles, brainteasers and interactive challenges guaranteed to test the brainpower and problem-solving skills of even the most experienced puzzlers.
Adults and children alike will enjoy exercising their minds as they try to master each of the 11 individual brain teasers and the three group activities, which encourage intergenerational play in this fun and unconventional new exhibition.
At the heart of the exhibition, visitors will find the essential scientific tasks of problem-solving and critical thinking, while group challenges require the use of communication, collaboration and teamwork skills.
Family Days at the Nat
Now through May 2020
Come and enjoy monthly Family Days at The Nat as they celebrate the natural world and the Natural History Museum. Each month has been uniquely themed to allow visitors to explore nature’s wonders, participate in hands-on activities, and create crafts to take home. Family Days run from 11am to 3pm and free for Explorer Passholders! For upcoming dates, click here.
The Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) community program is offered early mornings at 9 am once-a-month for adults and children on the autism spectrum and their families, friends, and caregivers. For upcoming dates, click here.
Now through June 2020
Explorer the region’s trails like no other alongside citizen scientists and volunteers trained by the Natural History Museum scientists and local experts! Enjoy history, nature, wildlife and the making of new friends. Best of all, these guided nature hikes
Click here for details and upcoming hikes.
The Marston House Museum is open for tours every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. With first tour starting at 10 am and last tour at 4 pm. In addition, on the THIRD Sunday of each month, the Marston House Museum offers the following tours:
- Bankers Hill Walking Tour · 10:30 am · 90 minutes · Meets at the corner of Walnut & Albatross Street, San Diego, CA 92103
- Seventh Avenue Walking Tour –A Progressive Vision · 12:30 pm · 45 minutes · Meets at Carriage House
- Marston House Garden Tour · 1:30 pm · 45 minutes · Meets at Carriage House
- Marston House: Architectural Details of Master Architects Hebbard & Gill · 2:30 pm · 90 Minutes · Meets at Carriage House
Each Tour is $15 per person. Explorer Passholders receive a special discounted price of $10 per adult and $5 per children under 12 years old; please be prepared to show your current Explorer passes. Tickets are available for purchase online or at the Carriage House on the day of the tour.
The first Monday of every month, seniors 65 and better can enjoy the Science Center exhibits, a show in the Heikoff Giant Dome Theater and a lecture on the quietest day of the month! Sharp Minds lectures begin at 10:30 am at the Heikoff Giant Dome Theater. Included with general admission for Explorer Passholders.
For more details and upcoming dates click here.
This year on Leap Day, The Old Globe’s Department of Arts Engagement is excited to host a dance-performance competition and celebration featuring selected local dance performance groups. Leap into action and submit to have your company featured on our plaza on February 29, 2020!
Saturday Open Rehearsals
Casa del Prado Building (2nd Floor)
8:30 am to 7:15 pm
Every weekend the San Diego Youth Symphony and Conservatory’s ensembles fill Casa del Prado with classical music. Visitors are invited to observe these rehearsals and share in the musical journey of their talented student musicians (ages 7-25). This is a wonderful treat to enhance any visit to Balboa Park!
San Diego Junior Theatre
Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed: The Rock Experience
February 28, 2020 through March 8, 2020
Wilbur is just like all the other naked mole rats – naked – until the day an ordinary hat fell into his tunnel. Wilbur dares to try it on and his life changes forever! Based on the book by Mo Willems, this cheeky musical exposes the truth about being yourself and wearing it well.
Recommended for ALL Ages!
Sensory-Friendly performance, 11 am, Saturday, March 7, 2020.
ASL-Interpreted performance ASL-Interpreted performance, 2 pm, Saturday, March 7, 2020.
Saturday, Sunday and Holidays | 11 am, 1 pm & 2:30 pm
The Marie Hitchcock Puppet Theater, originally part of the California Pacific International Exposition in 1935, has long been a mecca for children and is located in beautiful historic Balboa Park!
Children Under Two Are Free.
Sunday Concerts are held at 2pm (for one hour). All concerts are free and open to the public. Please note that seating is outdoors in the Organ Pavilion.
Music-loving pets are welcome, and so are picnics!
Saturday and Sunday Lawn programs
Each Saturday and Sunday from 2 pm to 3 pm, member houses of the House of Pacific Relations feature music, dance, arts, crafts, and ethnic foods. Check the Lawn Program calendar here.
FILMS AT BALBOA PARK
- Turtle Odyssey
- Superpower Dogs
- CUBA: Journey to the Heart of the Caribbean
Please Note: IMAX is available at a special price of $9.95 for Annual Explorer passholders.
- Legend of Apollo
- Flying Around the World
- Delta Zero
Films at the Zable Theater are included with paid admission and also with Explorer Passes.
- Ocean Oasis 2D
- Hidden Pacific 3D
- Conquest of the Skies 3D
Films in the giant-screen theater are included with paid admission and also with Explorer Passes.
- Balboa Park: The Jewel of San Diego
The film is included with donation-based admission and also with Explorer Passes.
Please Note: Special exhibitions and film costs are determined by each individual museum. Before visiting a museum, please contact them or check the websites for information on hours of operation, closures, additional events, special exhibitions, and film costs.